WISC Test (Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children)
What is the WISC?
The WISC®-V (Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children®, Fifth Edition) is an IQ test administered to children ages 6 and above by school districts and psychologists to determine whether or not a child is gifted and determine that student’s cognitive strengths and weaknesses. Subtests included on the WISC®-V may be given online or one-on-one using manipulatives, depending on the reason your child is being assessed; typically, the full exam takes 65-80 minutes, depending on the number of primary and secondary subtests given. If your child is taking the WISC®-V in order to qualify for admission into a gifted program or private school, your district or Independent School Organization will indicate which subtests all applicants must take. In most cases, either the 10 Primary Scale subtests or 7 Primary – Full Scale IQ (FSIQ) subtests are given for determining eligibility for admission into these programs.
The WISC®-V includes 10 Primary Scale/Full Scale IQ subtest types:
- Verbal Comprehension – Similarities (Primary/FSIQ)
- Verbal Comprehension – Vocabulary (Primary/FSIQ)
- Visual Spatial – Block Design (Primary/FSIQ)
- Fluid Reasoning – Matrix Reasoning (Primary/FSIQ)
- Fluid Reasoning – Figure Weights (Primary/FSIQ)
- Working Memory – Digit Span (Primary/FSIQ)
- Processing Speed – Coding (Primary/FSIQ)
- Visual Spatial – Visual Puzzles (Primary)
- Working Memory – Picture Span (Primary)
- Processing Speed – Symbol Search (Primary)
Since it’s an intelligence test, the WISC-V is either given one-on-one or online and doesn’t require any reading or writing skills.
Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children® — Fourth Edition (WISC®-IV) is a registered trademark of Pearson Education, Inc or its affiliate(s), or their licensors. TestingMom.com is not affiliated with nor related to Pearson Education, Inc or its affiliates (“Pearson”). Pearson does not sponsor or endorse any TestingMom.com product, nor have TestingMom.com products or services been reviewed, certified, or approved by Pearson. Trademarks referring to specific test providers are used by TestingMom.com for nominative purposes only and such trademarks are solely the property of their respective owners.