Bracken School Readiness Assessment (BSRA) – Bracken Test
The Bracken School Readiness Assessment (BSRA) is an individual cognitive test designed for children, pre-K, kindergarten, first grade and second grade.
The Bracken Test first published in 2002 was written by Bruce Bracken, PhD. The Bracken Test scores can be converted to percentile rank scores and standard test scores. The publisher has supporting guides for converting standard Bracken test scores into criterion categories. The BSRA can be used with children as young as 2.6 years of age. The Bracken Test contains six subtests the child will be tested on:
The Bracken Test assesses six basic skills:
- Colors — child needs to identify common colors by name (i.e. red, blue)
- Letters — child needs to know lower-case and upper-case letters
- Numbers and Counting — the child must identify single- and double-digit numerals, and must be able to count items up to 1 to 99.
- Sizes — child must demonstrate knowledge of words used to depict size during Bracken (e.g., short, long, etc.)
- Comparisons — child needs to differentiate or match objects based on a specific characteristic.
- Shapes — child needs to knowledge of basic shapes by name.
The Bracken School Readiness Assessment is currently being used for admittance to the New York City Gifted and Talented Program. The Bracken counts as 25% of the test score for the NYC G&T test while the OLSAT counts for the other 75% of the test score.
TestingMom.com provides Bracken practice test questions and Bracken test prep ideas you can use with your child.
13 Responses to “Bracken School Readiness Assessment (BSRA) – Bracken Test”
I AM A BIT CONFUSED, MY CHILD IS GOING TO GRADE 1 NEXT YEAR BUT ALL THE INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEBB SITE SEEMS LIKE KINDERGARTEN PREP MATERIAL
Our site is for pre-k through first grade testing for OLSAT, Bracken, WPPSI and Stanford-Binet.
I have recently read your book “Testing for Kindergarten” and have recommended the book to my friends, a must have for all parents!!!
I have signed up my 4 year old for the NYC G&T test and trying to find out how many questions there are on the test, and what the break down is between OLSAT and Bracken questions. Also curios about how the scoring is done, whether some questions are weighed more than others… I thank you in advance for your reply!
- Testing Mom
Hi Irina – we’re glad you read the book! It’s a “must read” for any parent with a young child and we’ve received positive feedback from lots of parents.
On the tests, it’s 128 questions – 40 questions for OLSAT portion and 88 for the Bracken piece.
On your other questions those really require in-depth responses from one of our experts on TestingMom.com. As a Top 1%, 5% or 10% member you can ask your more in-depth questions to our experts pertaining to your personal situation.
Hi – My son is 4 and scored on the Bracken test like an average 6 yr old. He attends a pre-kindergarten at Primrose in Colorado and we are not sure what his high score means. He was in the 98% of all Primrose kids nationwide. We are not sure what we should be doing for him next. We are starting to look at private schools for kindergarten and 1st grade. Any assistance would be appreciated!
Hi, I would like to know if you can send me a sample of the bsra test.
Thank You in advance
Mike, I’m with you with the question you have. What to do next… My daughter tested last September (2010) and she was 3 yrs 10 months and just started the Pre-K I program, but the test (also administered at a Primrose, but ours is in North Carolina) said she was testing at the age equivalent of a 5 yr 8 month old, also at the 98%. She will be tested again this week (I’m told they are the same questions as last fall).
I would also like to see a sample BSRA test.
I would like to see a sample of BSRA test.
new york city G&T test is colorable or black and white?
The OLSAT test is in black and white the NNAT-2 Naglieri Non-verbal Abilities Test is in colors.
I would like to see sample question.
I would like to see sample question, as well the scoring.