Test of Word Reading Efficiency Second Edition (TOWRE-2) – Overview
To help your child excel on the Test of Word Reading Efficiency Second Edition (TOWRE-2), ensure they are well-prepared and confident on test day. Unprepared students may face disadvantages when others know what to expect on the test.
Luckily, there is an easy solution for this. Testing Mom’s unique prep program has aided thousands of children in achieving higher scores on the TOWRE-2 test. Many members extend their membership for Testing Mom’s valuable academic content beyond testing. Fun fact – a single Testing Mom membership can be used by any child in the family.
The Testing Mom Advantage
The TOWRE-2 is widely used for reading assessment in the United States. It receives substantial support from Testing Mom, offering an array of resources. These resources encompass practice questions, interactive games, access to tutors, and expert guidance. All of these valuable assets are part of a Testing Mom membership.
The TOWRE-2 evaluates two crucial reading skills, namely sight word efficiency and phonemic decoding efficiency. These skills are essential for students to become proficient readers. Additionally, the TOWRE-2 offers four distinct forms, labeled A through D. This variety of forms enables periodic assessments throughout the year, facilitating the tracking and evaluation of students’ progress.
Foundational Reading Skills
Sight Word Efficiency (SWE): This component assesses the individual’s ability to recognize and read aloud a list of real words quickly and accurately. It measures the speed and accuracy of recognizing and pronouncing common, irregularly spelled words. These words are typically learned through sight or memorization.
Phonemic Decoding Efficiency (PDE): This component evaluates the individual’s ability to sound out and decode pseudowords (non-words) quickly and accurately. It assesses their phonetic decoding skills, which involve applying knowledge of letter-sound correspondences and blending sounds to read unfamiliar or nonsense words.
If your child will be taking the TOWRE-2, watch for common mistakes. At TestingMom.com, we have seen that children, no matter how bright they are, don’t always perform well on tests when they have no test-taking experience, and specifically, no practice with the format and structure of a particular test. Because many of these critical test-taking skills are not reinforced in school, students are unable to gain practice in the art of test-taking. As a result, they may misunderstand directions, lose focus, fail to consider all answer choices, struggle to listen to the questions asked, fail to eliminate obviously wrong answers, lose time getting stuck on hard questions, and more.
As you observe your child working through this practice test, watch for these common mistakes and gently make corrections. Through your guidance and lots of practice, your child will be able to perform at his or her true ability for a fair and accurate evaluation during the actual test.
Since the Test of Word Reading Efficiency Second Edition (TOWRE-2) is a reading test that assesses your child’s word reading and decoding skills, TestingMom.com’s practice questions, that are similar to the test, can be very helpful in building your child’s underlying skills, experience, and confidence.
How Testing Mom Helps With Test Prep
Testing Mom online test prep equips kids with the skills and knowledge required to tackle these assessments confidently and successfully. Here’s how Testing Mom can assist with the TOWRE-2 and how parents can play a crucial role in this process:
- Comprehensive Material: Testingmom.com offers a wide range of study material aligned with the content of the TOWRE-2. It includes online practice questions, interactive games, skill-building exercises, and printable worksheets. This vast selection allows parents to choose the learning method that best suits their child, ensuring an effective and engaging study experience.
- Tailored Learning: The platform customizes the learning content based on the child’s grade level, ensuring the material is suitable and challenging enough to boost their reading abilities. This tailored learning approach aids in the comprehensive understanding and mastery of the topics that the TOWRE-2 will assess.
- Skill Development: The TOWRE-2 evaluates a student’s ability to read and recognize sight words and use phonetic decoding skills. TestingMom.com provides specific practice questions and resources for each of these areas, allowing children to develop the necessary skills systematically. If you ever exhaust practice questions in our Reading Test Section on the website, we can guide you to other specific tests featured on the site with similar questions. Furthermore, as part of your membership, we can direct you to third-party reading programs in our Skill Building Academy that offer enjoyable ways to enhance these skills.
- Parental Support: TestingMom.com also offers resources for parents, including a guide to understanding reading testing, strategies for test prep, and tips on how to support their child’s learning journey. This helps parents feel more equipped to assist their child in preparing for the test.
How Parents Can Help With TOWRE-2 Test Prep
- Regular Practice: Parents should ensure their child regularly practices using TestingMom.com. Consistency is key in reinforcing the skills and knowledge gained. Testing Mom also offers one-to-one online tutoring at super affordable prices! You can schedule a free call with one of our educational advisors to learn more about how our one-to-one tutoring can help your child soar on the TOWRE-2!
- Encourage a Growth Mindset: Parents should foster a growth mindset in their children, emphasizing that they can develop intelligence and that effort leads to improvement. This helps children approach the TOWRE-2 with a positive and resilient attitude.
- Healthy Environment: Parents should provide a quiet, comfortable space for children to study, free of distractions. Also, maintaining a healthy balance between work and play is crucial to avoid burnout.
- Monitor Progress: Parents can use Testing Mom’s Digital Tutor to track their child’s progress for TOWRE-2 success, identifying areas of strength and weakness. This can help parents provide specific support where it’s most needed and discover how Testing Mom tutoring can help for that extra added boost.
- Open Communication: Parents should maintain an open dialogue with their child about their upcoming test. It’s essential to discuss any worries or concerns their child may have and to reassure them that a test is merely a way to show what they’ve learned.
By using TestingMom.com and following these guidelines, parents can support their child in preparing for the TOWRE-2 test. This combination of online learning and parental support can help students approach their test with confidence and perform to the best of their abilities.
How to get the most out of TOWRE-2 practice tests and questions
When working through a Test of Word Reading Efficiency Second Edition (TOWRE-2) practice test, it’s important to create an optimal environment for your child’s concentration. Ensure they are in a quiet, well-lit space where they can focus on the questions. We recommend dividing the practice into manageable chunks of 30 minutes. This timeframe aligns with a child’s ability to think clearly and maintain full attention before taking a break.
Materials You’ll Need:
- If you print the practice test from a download on the TestingMom.com website, separate the practice test from the instructions.
- Have some soft, black #2 pencils and good erasers to use.
When Your Child Is Taking the Practice Test:
- Give your child one set of questions at a time. First, go through the sample questions in the set to make sure your child knows what to do.
- Then, allow your child to work through the rest of the questions if you don’t need to read individual question prompts. There may be some questions which the parent needs to read for the child.
- Read instructions precisely as they are written. Do not paraphrase them.
- Give your child breaks as needed.
- As practice questions begin, refrain from offering feedback or assistance to your child unless they genuinely require it. Review all answers after the practice session is over.
- At the end of each set of questions, give your child positive feedback for working hard and doing his or her best! This will help to instill a sense of motivation and confidence in your child!
TOWRE-2 Quick Facts
- Publisher – Pro-Ed
- Latest Version – 2012
- Age Range – 6 to 24 years
- Test Format – Paper and Pencil
- Testing Time – 5 minutes
Purpose of the TOWRE-2
- To identify individuals who may be at risk for reading difficulties, such as dyslexia,
- To determine a person’s strengths and weaknesses in phonological abilities,
- To document a person’s progress after specific interventions to improve their phonological abilities.
For extra TOWRE-2 preparation, consider joining TestingMom.com. We offer hundreds of additional practice questions and engaging online prep games.