i-Ready Diagnostic for 2nd Grade
i-Ready Diagnostic 2nd Grade Sample Questions
The i-Ready Diagnostic is an adaptive online test that is intended to show your child’s understanding of Math and Reading and help figure out what your child is ready to learn next. As an adaptive test, questions will get easier or harder depending on how your child is progressing on the test. Questions may range up to three grade levels above your child’s current grade.
The i-Ready Diagnostic is given in the following order for children in 2nd Grade.
- Algebra and Algebraic Thinking – In this section, students’ understanding of algebraic concepts is assessed, focusing on patterns, relationships, and basic functions. They work with simple equations and learn to solve problems using various strategies, building on the foundational concepts from kindergarten and 1st grade.
- Numbers and Operations – This section evaluates students’ ability to recognize and work with numbers, including counting, comparing, adding, and subtracting. Students begin to explore place value and develop a deeper understanding of arithmetic operations.
- Geometry – The Geometry section assesses students’ knowledge of geometric shapes and their properties. They continue to identify, classify, and manipulate shapes while exploring spatial relationships, patterns, and more complex geometric concepts.
- Measurement and Data – This section covers concepts related to measurement and data, such as length, weight, time, and temperature, building on the foundation laid in earlier grades. Students learn to use different tools and units for measurement and practice interpreting and representing data in various forms, including graphs and charts.
- Phonics – The Phonics section focuses on reinforcing students’ ability to recognize and decode letters and their corresponding sounds. They continue to develop their decoding skills, focusing on more complex letter combinations and patterns.
- Phonological Awareness (if your child’s Phonics score is 421 or less): For students with a Phonics score of 421 or less, this section helps them further develop their awareness of sounds in spoken language. They practice identifying and manipulating sounds, such as blending, segmenting, and rhyming, to improve their reading and writing abilities.
- High-Frequency Words – This section targets a student’s ability to recognize and read high-frequency words, also known as sight words, which are commonly found in texts. Mastery of high-frequency words promotes reading fluency and comprehension.
- Vocabulary – The Vocabulary section assesses students’ understanding of a wide range of words, their meanings, and their usage in context. Building a strong vocabulary is essential for reading comprehension and effective communication, and this section helps students expand their word knowledge.
- Comprehension: Literature – In this section, students are tested on their ability to understand and interpret literary texts, such as stories, poems, and plays. They delve deeper into analyzing characters, settings, events, themes, and central messages, enhancing their critical thinking skills.
- Comprehension: Informational Text – This section focuses on evaluating students’ ability to comprehend informational texts, such as articles, reports, and nonfiction books. Students practice identifying main ideas, supporting details, text structures, and author’s purpose in a variety of informational text types, further developing their comprehension skills.
Below you will find sample questions that are representative of 2nd Grade questions your child will see on the test but are not taken directly from the actual i-Ready Diagnostic that is being administered this year.
1. Which word is what you do to shoelaces after you put your shoes on?
2. Which choice uses all the words below to make a sentence?
animals clown the balloon made
A. Animals made the clown balloons.
B. Balloons made the animals clowns.
C. The clown made balloon animals.
3. Paul has 20 candles on his birthday cake. His grandfather has 70 candles on his birthday cake. How many candles do Paul and his grandfather have all together?
4. How many faces does the triangular pyramid have?
5. Choose the correct missing word.
I know _____ the right choice.
6. Which group of words is a phrase?
A. When the rain falls, the river rises.
B. Went to dinner after work.
C. The credits plays when the movie ends.
D. After we finished working, we went to dinner.